Friday, January 21, 2011

White wine and garlic shrimp with cheddar grits

My husband was out of town last night, so I decided to make something for dinner that he wouldn't normally eat (without lots of coaxing, anyway)...shrimp and grits.

But not just plain shrimp and grits, I made a garlic and white wine sauce with the shrimp and added peas. I was really hungry and feeling a bit lazy so I used garlic powder rather than mincing fresh garlic. Normally I would prefer a clove of fresh garlic, but it was getting late! For the grits, I used milk instead of water and added some butter, garlic and cheddar. It all made for a very yummy dinner. In fact, it was sooo good I didn't even think to take a picture before I inhaled it!

Here's how it went:

Cheddar Grits:
1 cup milk
1/4 cup quick cooking grits
dash salt
garlic powder to taste
2 teaspoons butter (ish)
1 ounce extra sharp cheddar cheese, chopped into small pieces

- Gently bring the milk to a boil over medium heat. Whisk in the grits and salt.
- Cook for about 5 minutes, or until the grits become thick and creamy.
- Remove from the heat and add in the garlic powder and cheddar. Stir until the cheddar is melted and fully combined.


White wine and garlic shrimp:
2 teaspoons butter
1 serving precooked shrimp, thawed and tails removed
1/2 cup frozen peas
salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste
1/4 cup white wine

- Melt the butter in a small skillet over medium high heat. Add in the shrimp and peas.
- Season with salt, pepper and garlic powder (if using fresh garlic, add minced garlic to the butter and cook for 2 minutes before adding the shrimp).
- Cook for 2-3 minutes, then add the white wine. Bring to a boil and cook until the sauce has reduced about 5 minutes. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment