Thursday, January 6, 2011

Pumpkin Chiffon Cake Truffles


A few days ago I mentioned that I had made a pumpkin chiffon cake and had half left over. Thinking this was the ideal time to test out a cake other than a butter cake for my cake truffles, I made a half recipe of vanilla buttercream. I chose vanilla buttercream because there is already so much spice and flavor in the cake itself.

I had some trouble forming the cake balls, the softness of the chiffon cake doesn't lend itself quite as well as butter cakes do. But I was able to form somewhat round cake balls and put them in the freezer, as usual, before dipping in white chocolate.

I melted my white chocolate and the first cake truffle looked awesome! But things went downhill from there. By the time i finished dipping all the truffles, the last ones looked like a lumpy frumpy mess.

A taste test revealed that the pumpkin chiffon cake tasted wonderful, but the physical appearance was not something I am proud of. I brought some to our homeowners' association meeting and got rave reviews for the taste, same for the people here at work.

So I think I will make a pumpkin spiced butter cake so that the cake truffles will have a much better look to them without losing the delicious flavor that everyone seems to love so much.

In the end, my curiosity as to whether I could branch out from butter cakes into fluffier cakes like angel food, chiffon and genoise has been satisfied...it is possible but not necessarily pretty.

No comments:

Post a Comment