Monday, January 3, 2011

Cinnamon Apples


I love cinnamon apples, it just isn't Christmas or New Years with out them! I thought I could get away without them for Christmas dinner at my in-law's house, but when the last minute decision was made to make pancakes for breakfast, I couldn't get them out of my mind. It sparked a major craving for apples over pancakes that wouldn't go away. But the problem was that it was almost 7PM on Christmas eve. What store would be open?

We tried Publix and Kroger and ended up at Walmart, which was open until 8PM. Whew, we made it just under the wire. Since I wasn't in my own kitchen and I didn't want to get in the way, I chose the Country Crock tub of apples. Quick and easy in the microwave and enough to satisfy my craving.

That held me over until New Years, where I wanted the real thing from my own kitchen. Here is what I did:

4 tablespoons unsalted butter
8 large Granny Smith apples, peeled and cored
6 teaspoons cornstarch
1 cup cold water
1 cup packed brown sugar
generous sprinkling of cinnamon

1. Sliced apples into about 1/4 inch thickness.
2. Melted butter in a large stock pot.
3. Add apples and sauteed until slightly soft.
4. Mixed cornstarch with the water and added to the apples.
5. Added the brown sugar and cinnamon.
6. Brought the mixture to a boil and cooked until the apples were soft but not falling apart.
7. Set aside to cool slightly before serving.
8. Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for 4-5 days and reheated on the stovetop or in the microwave before serving (or served cold, if desired).

No comments:

Post a Comment