Thursday, September 30, 2010

Can I save my cake truffles?



That is the question I will be answering this evening. Last night I started making my cake truffles for the church festival. I made a vanilla cake with peanut butter frosting and formed them into balls and placed them in the freezer to harden up before dipping in chocolate. Easy as pie...

For those of you who are unfamiliar with cake truffles, here is a brief introduction. First you bake a cake. I prefer to use a 9x13" pan so there is only one pan to clean rather than two 9 inch pans and it is all going to one place anyway! Let the cake cool until just barely warm and then break it into large pieces into a very large bowl. Add in one recipe of desired frosting, anything at all will work. Just make sure the recipe is amount that would be used to frost one 9x13 or 9" round double layer cake. Stir like crazy and refrigerate until the mixture is cold enough to form into balls. I use a melon baller/small cookie scoop and combine two scoops into one ball, about the size of a golf ball. Place these in the freezer to harden then dip into the desired melted chocolate. Let the chocolate set up and they are ready to eat!

Then on to the second cake. I opted for an apple spice cake that I adapted from my grandmother's recipe. The cake turned out moist and fluffy and made my kitchen smell great!!! I was torn between a caramel frosting and a vanilla buttercream. I wasn't sure if the caramel would be too over powering since I had not made that one before, so I went with the vanilla buttercream. The recipe I had made quite a bit. Without thinking, I dumped all the frosting into the cake crumbs and starting stirring. Right away I knew it wasn't going to work. There was just waaaaaaaay too much frosting in there, it was all super liquidy. There was no way I would be able to pack this into a ball. I was extremely annoyed that I wasn't paying as close attention as I should be. I know better!!! I ran out of apple sauce, so I will have to make another cake tonight and keep adding cake crumbs a little at a time until I get a reasonable consistency. I hope I can get it just right, my fingers are crossed!!!!!

Let just hope the third cake goes as smoothly as the first so I can start dipping in chocolate tonight and tomorrow. The chocolate needs some time to set up before I package them and I would prefer not to place the cake truffles in the freezer. Freezing chocolate can cause a white bloom to occur and I want these to look just right!

No comments:

Post a Comment