Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Pancakes/Mac and Cheese/Crab Cakes...not all at once, but I should have thought of that!




I was excited to spend more time experimenting in the kitchen this weekend.

I made buttermilk pancakes with the buttermilk I had leftover from the chocolate and vanilla cake. Nothing too exciting or difficult there. I put half directly in the freezer and the other half into the fridge. I have been using them to make peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for breakfast. I bought some strawberry and amaretto preserves at the Yellow Daisy Festival at Stone Mountain two weekends ago, which I thought might be a little strange with peanut butter, but I am really enjoying it!

Using my Professional Cooking textbook, I made mac and cheese. I started with a bechamel sauce, which is a white roux with milk, then added a whole bunch of shredded cheddar cheese. I stirred in ground mustard, salt and Worcestershire sauce before adding the cooked macaroni. The whole thing went in the oven at 350F for about 30 minutes. We didn't bother with the bread crumbs on top since my husband doesn't think they add anything. The end result was fairly tasty, though I think I will need to kick up the flavor just a little bit next time. Personally, I would love some broccoli or some other veggie in there, but I know my husband would protest. But it looks like a keeper recipe to me.

I had a bunch of crab meat leftover, so I went for a traditional crab cake. Just some bread crumbs, a little mayo, eggs, parsley, baking powder, Worcestershire sauce and salt. Oh and of course, Old Bay seasoning! I opted to broil my crab cakes, rather than saute them. They taste great on their own, there really isn't any need for the added butter to saute them. My husband sprinkled some lemon juice over his and I opted for a very strong cocktail sauce consisting of horseradish and ketchup...it had quite a bite to it, just the way I like it. Most restaurants serve such mild cocktail sauce that I am very glad to make my own.

Crab cakes and creamy mac and cheese made for a great dinner!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment