Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Yummy vanilla, chocolate and almond cake!


My husband and I visited some friends last week for dinner and even though it was a last second decision, I still wanted to make sure I brought something. I still had some of the chocolate buttercream in the fridge from the last set of cookies I made, so I decided to build a cake around that.

I figure a good old fashioned vanilla butter cake would be a good complement. What is better with chocolate than vanilla? Using all the little techniques I have learned throughout my readings, I am now very confident in my cake making skills. My cakes have consistently turned out light and fluffy and baked just right.

Since the buttercream was not a full recipe, I needed some sort of a filling to make sure the cake tasted smooth and creamy. After conferring with my husband, we decided on a chocolate almond whipped cream center. A simple, yet extremely tasty and effective filling. So I made the cakes and filling late one night, then assembled everything just before leaving the next day.

I initially thought I would just use the buttercream on top of the cake so that it would be a thicker layer, but I quickly realized that all the whipped cream would squirt out the edges if I didn't keep them contained somehow! So that resulted in a thin frosting layer all the way around. The cake didn't look quite as perfect as I would like, considering that I started assembling everything 10 minutes after we should have left the house! But it actually looked nice and I am curious how my next cake will look. Pictures will be uploaded as soon as I get a chance.

It may be a few weeks before my next cake, but I am thinking through what kind of birthday cake I would like to make for myself. Both mine and my husband's birthdays are two days apart so I am not sure if we will have one cake or separate ones so that we can have different things. I still have a few weeks left to think.

No comments:

Post a Comment