Sunday, June 27, 2010

Zucchini Bread



My garden has been growing well, for the most part. Recently, my cucumbers and zucchini have really started to take off. I have two very large zucchini at the moment. Since I know my husband will not want to eat any of the zucchini as it is and I know I won't be able to eat two monsterous grilled zucchinis on my own, I decided to make zucchini bread. I used a recipe from the King Arthur Flour Whole Grain Baking Book. Their website does not have the recipe that I used.

This bread feels light and soft and baked up really well for a baking powder-raised quick bread. The color is light for a whole wheat bread because I used white whole wheat flour. I am starting to prefer it over traditional whole wheat flour. I like that it still has all the fiber of whole wheat, doesn't have the bitter tannin-like taste of whole wheat and isn't processed like white flour. It sounds like the best of all worlds to me.

I just tasted some of this bread and the texture is perfect. It is not dense like many whole wheat breads and the zucchini makes the bread super moist. The bread tasted good on its own, but I also tried it with some yogurt-based butter that I have. That was the ideal flavor combination for me. The butter was a great addition that took a good bread up to a next level.

I am looking forward to many more garden-inspired recipes in the future. My tomato plants have lots of buds and several green tomatoes at the moment. I have a feeling they will all ripen at the same time, so I will start thinking of things I want to do with all the excess...like marinara sauce, tomato soup, fried green tomatoes...and many more things.

No comments:

Post a Comment