Sunday, July 18, 2010

Girl's Dinner

I had a few friends over this weekend for dinner and a trip to Stone Mountain to see the laser show. I had a bunch of restrictions to keep in mind while creating the menu: one is vegetarian, the only meat another would eat is chicken, no mushrooms, not spicy. The easy way out is lasagna, but I didn't want to make that. Also, I didn't want to make something like black bean or chick pea burgers, since those are best made after everyone gets here and I didn't want to be out with the grill with everyone here.

So here is the menu I planned: whole wheat pitas and cucumber with hummus, salad, veggie pasta with a greek yogurt sauce, chicken cordon bleu, garlic and cheese foccacia. I also made a cherry pie and an almond sponge cake with a chocolate hazelnut buttercream frosting.

I spent some time on Friday night making the pitas and the cherry pie. On Saturday morning, I prepped the salad (a simple mix of romaine lettuce, spinach, cucumber, cherry tomatoes and parmesan cheese. I made the foccacia in the morning and had time to make the cake in the afternoon. I was able to make the pasta just before people got here, and had the chicken in the oven baking. So lots of time in the kitchen on Friday and Saturday, and I was very happy.

I will write more about all the parts of the process in other entries, I wanted to give an overview of it all first. But to prevent any undue suspense, I will tell you that despite some snags along the way (particularly with the sponge cake and buttercream frosting), everything turned out really well. I am very proud of all the creations and to top it off, I had fun doing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment