Saturday, April 17, 2010

Philadelphia Cream Cheese Contest



So I have been thinking ahead to the dessert week for the Philly cream cheese contest. I am not overly confident in my entree, and I am not sure I will have a video camera in time to make a video to submit by tomorrow night. If I really felt very confident about the entree, I think I would work harder on it, but I feel like my strength is in my desserts.

I went back into my recipes to see what I could adapt for these purposes. I decided on a peanut butter cookie recipe with mini chocolate chips that I spread into a large cookie sheet to make one big cookie. I can then use a cookie cutter to cut out the desired shape and sizes. Then I have a cream cheese and honey filling to put between two layers.

That is as far as I feel confident in the recipe. It is now down to how to finish it. I still have a long way to go with regards to presentation and I am stuck on how to take this recipe to the next level. I know I want to layer the 'cookies' with the filling. Then the options abound. I created a chocolate cream cheese ganache and drizzled it over the top. I also tried adding some whip cream to the top, then sprinkling on some mini chocolate chips. The ganache worked alright, but I will need to put it into a real pastry bag with a very fine tip to get a much better drizzle

Another option would be to make the peanut butter cookie layers without the mini chocolate chips, spread chocolate filling in the center then add a cream cheese frosting to the top using a pastry tip to make it look nice. I have all the components that I am happy with, it is just a matter of deciding on what the best presentation would be. And I need to remember that this all needs to be done in an hour. So I don't want to do any elaborate decoration that takes a lot of time, since I will need to bake, cool, fill, then decorate the dessert in that time.

Then the final problem will be naming my creation. I will need to think long and hard to come up with a good and catchy name for this dessert. It isn't a cookie, the layers are a bit more cake like, and it has the peanut butter, chocolate and cream cheese elements to it.

Sounds like I have a lot to think about over the next few days with regard to the presentation and naming of my newest creation. That will keep me busy on walks with the dogs and while working out.

No comments:

Post a Comment