Sunday, March 6, 2011

Pancake Puffs Redo




With a new pancake puff pan, I wanted to retry making my puffs. And I would like to say they were much better this time around. I bought a nonstick pan to replace my cheap cast iron one and it made all the difference in the world.

I started off with a simple buttermilk pancake base. One set was done without any additions. After cooking, I injected some strawberry filling into half of them. The next set, I put some batter in the well, then some of the leftover apple mixture I used for my apple pies, then a little more batter to top off the wells.

For the third trial, I put a little batter in the bottom, then some marshmallows and mini chocolate chips to make s'mores puffs.

For the last of the batch, I added some basil, oregano, garlic powder, onion powder and parmesan cheese.

All in all, the trials could not have gone better! The puffs cooked through easily and it didn't take anywhere near as long as the last time. And both sides of the puffs were a nice golden brown, not golden on one side and pale on the other.

I let the puffs cool then placed them in the fridge to test out reheating. If I were to make these at some sort of a market, I would need to have a lot ready to go. I reheated the puffs in the toaster and it worked out perfectly. I had thought I would use my electric skillet to warm them through, but the toaster actually was just right.

My husband liked the Italian spiced puffs (he hasn't tried the others yet), but thought they needed a little something. He said it was like eating pizza dough and was thinking it would be good to serve with red sauce. He loves his red sauce and even offered to make some for me if I wanted him to. It would have a great look to the dish to have some red sauce on the bottom with the puffs on top.

I am very happy with all the trials I ran today and I have a few other concepts in mind. I think I will be proud to bring them to the market trials this weekend, I just need to think about how to finish the puffs (if need be...like serving with sauce or a chocolate sauce or powdered sugar...whatever is appropriate). I just need to decide exactly which ones I want to bring.

No comments:

Post a Comment