Wednesday, March 9, 2011

First Ever Ethiopian Food Experience

And I loved, loved, loved, loved, loved it!!!! I can't begin to say how many times over how yummy it all was. There wasn't one thing I tried that I didn't adore.

A friend of mine and I went to Queen of Sheba Ethiopian Food in Decatur for lunch today. We both like trying different types of food and this was a great place to experience Ethiopian food for the first time. She had been there once before, but it has been a few years. I have had food from Kenya, but the main influence was Indian inspired, so this was completely different.

We ordered sambussas to start, which remind me of samosas. The menu states they are pastry shells filled with lentils, onions and green peppers. They came out hot and steamy and were a great start.

We needed some help with the menu since neither of us had any idea what to order. She wanted something beef, so the server suggested two different beef entrees. The first was called derek tibs 'spiced cubes of selected lean beef cooked well done and sauteed with garlic, fresh tomato, green pepper and onion.' The other was awaze tibs 'spiced cubes of selected lean beef sauteed with garlic, green pepper, onion and awaze.' This one had a red sauce that was a little spicier than the derek tibs.

The meal came out on a large platter lined with injera, a spongy bread. The server added the two types of beef to the platter, which also had a small salad with lettuce, tomatoes and a vinaigrette-type dressing. There was also a side of red sauce, just like the one for the awaze tibs. There were also small rolls of injera on the side to use to pick up the meat.

Both of us were super excited for lunch and it was completely wonderful! There were lots of 'yum's to go around. I think this place quickly became one of my favorites and I can't wait to go back and try some of the other options. Eating with the injera was a bit different, but I barely even noticed because I was too busy stuffing my face! I will definitely need to return in the near future and I can't wait!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment