Thursday, May 20, 2010

Chocolate Covered Strawberries and Cream Pie and Strawberry Mojito Pie

Here are my two most recent entries for the Real Women of Philadelphia contest. Please bear with the lower quality of video, I have a size limit of 100Meg, so these longer videos need to be saved with a lower quality. I will go back once the contest is done and put up better videos.

The first is my Chocolate Covered Strawberries and Cream Pie (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6N9Xp_2Rf0). A strawberry pie topped with chocolate ganache and finished with a cream cheese whipped cream topping. This was is so delicious and I am unbelievably proud of my creation. The cream cheese in the topping, rather than just whipped topping adds an unexpected element that makes the dish flow. What could be better than strawberries and cream? What could be better than strawberries and chocolate? A chocolate covered strawberries and cream pie, thats what!!!

The second is a Strawberry Mojito Pie (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RThJUrBdxW8). When I first started thinking about this recipe, everyone was talking about the Kentucky Derby. I wanted a way to incorporate the traditional mint julep into one of my recipes. I thought of various strawberry cocktails and figured a strawberry mint julep would be a good combination. Since the Derby would be long passed (and I didn't have any bourbon in the house), I opted for a summer cocktail that is a bit more ubiquitous throughout the season. I chose a mojito, which is made of rum, mint and lime. I looked online and could not find a pie of its kind at all. I incorporated the mojito flavors into my strawberry filling as well as added rum to the cream cheese topping. This pie went over a lot better than I could have guessed! I took it to work and it was gone in less than 15 minutes. Everyone commented on its novelty and loved its taste. I was afraid that the rum would be too strong, but it turns out I guessed just right when I made this pie.

No comments:

Post a Comment