Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Samples Abound!

So rather than let the excess truffles I made for the Atlanta Underground market go to waste, I decided to get creative. Here's what I did:

Some of the truffles were sent to my brother and to my parents to see how well they survive the trip. I haven't talked to my brother, but my mom said they arrived in one piece. That is a lot better than I thought they would. I was assuming they would be shattered from all the bouncing around. But apparently the mini cupcake boxes I have them in keep them fairly secure. My mom's only suggestion would be to put some packing material between the two boxes inside the shipping box. I also need to see how much it would be to send via FedEx rather than the Post Office. I used a medium flat rate shipping box and could only fit two dozen truffles in the box with a bunch of packaging. The cost per box was almost $11. That seems a bit cost prohibitive at the moment, but if I can find a cheaper method of shipping I think I will be in good shape.

My husband spread the word at his work that there were truffles available and I got several orders there.

I brought in a bunch of truffles to work and started handing out samples. Rather than just leaving the truffles in the hallway where anyone can grab as many as they want anytime, I walked around with the box making sure to give out the flavor list and my information. I was pleasantly surprised by the positive reaction that I got. I sold a bunch of truffles on the spot. But I also made some good contacts. Two people are planning engagement/wedding parties in the summer and said they will be getting in touch with me as the time gets closer. I already delivered an order yesterday as a birthday present and it evidentally went over extremely well. And my fliers are all over the place.

While talking about my truffles someone that works down the hall from me asked me to make her some mini muffins for her daughter's birthday party, in addition to some of the truffles. So I whipped up some apple strudel muffins for her one night last week.

In walking around my building at work with the truffle samples, I learned that Relay for Life was happening last Friday night here at Emory. They asked me to stop by, and my husband and I brought a bunch of truffles. I donated about 100 truffles for the team to sell to add to their donations. It seemed like a win-win situation for everyone. They get more money towards their total and I get more people to try my samples.

So as upset as I had been that the weather kept a lot of people away from the market, I was able to turn it around. I got a lot of good attention for my truffles and it forced me to be very vocal, which is very different from my normal personality. I also made enough money to make up for what I lost in the market. I am no longer in the hole, which is a good feeling. I can get a good start again now and really start pushing my truffles.

Sometimes things just happen for a reason and something that does not turn out the way you like could actually be a blessing in disguise.

No comments:

Post a Comment