Fried Green Tomatoes with Spicy Bacon Ranch Sauce
A traditional southern favorite gets a little hotter thanks to spicy ranch dressing mix and Kraft Philadelphia cream cheese. A perfect way to use those green tomatoes and a great addition to a Southern-inspired meal. Remember if you don't have buttermilk, simply make sour milk using 1 tablespoon vinegar and fill to 1 cup with milk. Stir and let sit for 5 minutes before using.
- Prep time: 10 minutes
- Cook time: 10 minutes
- Total time: 20 minutes
- Servings: 6
- 3 slices bacon
- 1 cup(s) of buttermilk
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 cup(s) of fine ground cornmeal
- 1 tsp. of salt
- 1/4 tsp. of pepper
- 3 large green tomatoes, sliced
- 3 tbsp. of oil, if necessary
- 8 ounce(s) of Kraft Philadelphia cream cheese, softened
- 8 ounce(s) of sour cream
- 1 ounce(s) of packet spicy ranch dressing mix
- 1/2 cup(s) of milk
- Cook the bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until crispy. Set aside on paper towels to drain, then chop into small pieces. Leave the bacon grease in the skillet.
- While the bacon is cooking, prepare the coating for the tomatoes. In one shallow dish, combine buttermilk and beaten egg. In a second shallow dish, combine the cornmeal, salt and pepper. Dip the tomato slices in the buttermilk mixture then the cornmeal mixture, making sure to coat the tomatoes completely. Place in the hot bacon grease, adding more oil if there is not enough to fry the tomato slices. Cook until golden brown on both sides. Place on a paper towel to drain and continue until all slices have been fried.
- In a large bowl, combine the cream cheese, sour cream, spicy ranch dressing mix and milk. More milk can be added if you prefer a thinner sauce. Stir in the bacon pieces.
- Serve the warm tomato slices with the spicy bacon ranch sauce.