Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Southern Ambrosia Snowballs


I have had this recipe for over a year now. In fact, I had thought about making these for the cookie exchange last year but didn’t get around to it. They seemed like they would be simple and fairly light compared to the more chocolate heavy cookies.

The food processor made the crumbs quickly and easily. I mixed the other ingredients and added the crumbs and mixed away. Everything seemed to come together, but not so much that I could knead it like the recipe suggests. I tried to add one mini marshmallow in each cookie, but it was so difficult to close the cookie around it that I quickly gave up on that. Also, when I tried to roll the cookies in the coconut, no where near as much stuck to my cookies as in the pictures. Maybe I handled the rounded cookies too much and lost some of the ‘stickiness.’

Even though the cookies didn’t quite come out like expected, they still tasted good. The flavor of the Nilla wafers with orange was a good combination. I was ok with less coconut flavor-wise, but the picture of the cookies on the website definitely look prettier. In the end it was a good recipe to try out, but I do not think they will be a part of my normal rotation.

From Good Housekeeping Yields: 24 snowballs

Ingredients
• 5 tablespoon(s) light corn syrup
• 3 tablespoon(s) orange marmalade
• 2 tablespoon(s) orange liqueur or orange juice concentrate
• 1 box(es) (12-ounce) Nilla Wafers, finely crushed
• 48 mini marshmallows
• 1 3/4 cup(s) sweetened coconut flakes
________________________________________
Directions
1. In a bowl, combine the corn syrup, orange marmalade, and orange liqueur. Stir in the crushed vanilla wafers until moistened and knead together until well mixed.
2. Use your hands to shape the mixture into 1-inch balls, filling each with 2 mini marshmallows. Roll each ball in the coconut to coat and store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.

No comments:

Post a Comment