Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Making Marshmallows



For a cute addition to the hot chocolate mix, I made homemade marshmallows. I have read that homemade taste better than those from the bag so I wanted to give it a try. I went to the old standby: the King Arthur Flour website (http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/homemade-marshmallows-recipe).

I made homemade marshmallows for the first time and it really wasn't all that difficult. The directions were clear and easy to follow. I allowed the marshmallow to set up overnight in the glass dish. I wanted to cut it into cute holiday themed shapes and found a few small cookie cutters that I thought would work. I chose a christmas tree, santa head, stocking and a snowman. After trying some of them out, I found that the stocking was the only one that really came out looking like it was supposed to. I greased each cookie cutter and also tried dipping them in confectioner's sugar, but the best still seemed to be the stocking since there were no hard edges.

I was worried that none of the cookie cutters would work, but I am happy with the stockings. A few didn't turn out quite as pretty, but once I regreased the cutter they looked better. I placed the stockings into a container and sprinkled with more confectioners' sugar to keep them from sticking. Then I put on an air tight lid. I plan on placing a bunch in small bags for each Christmas gift bag. They should be perfect with the hot chocolate.

Of course I had to taste my creations. These marshmallows are light and fluffy and tasted amazing! I just ate a few small pieces as I was cutting them out (hey, there are scraps when using a cookie cutter, I couldn't just let them all pass by!). I haven't tried the marshmallows in hot chocolate yet, but that is certainly on the agenda!

No comments:

Post a Comment