Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Sundial Atlanta


I didn't do any baking this weekend, there were a bunch of other things around the house that needed to be done and we also had a few places we wanted to make sure we visited before the end of the month. So rather than just one meal out, we had two.

The first place we went was to the Sundial (www.sundialrestaurant.com), a rotating restaurant in downtown Atlanta. The restaurant is 73 floors up in the Westin Hotel, the highest hotel in the hemisphere. About two years ago, a tornado made its way through downtown and wreaked havoc, causing a lot of damage to the all windowed hotel. The hotel is almost done replacing all of the windows and just reopened the glass elevator to the top. The actual grand reopening of the elevators is tonight. We got to ride in the elevators this weekend for our lunch date. I had gotten a gift card through livingsocial.com a while ago and it was due to expire on the 22nd, so we wanted to make sure we got there in time.

As a starter, we had the she crab fondue. I grew up outside of Baltimore so I love crab. Not only does it taste great, but all the memories of home that are associated with it always come back to me. I ordered the roasted sirloin panini with horseradish havarti, arugula and oven dried tomatoes. It was simply delicious! The only criticism I had was that I could have done without the butter on the panini. There was enough flavor in the rest of the sandwich that it didn't need the butter. The greek side salad wasn't quite what I was expecting, but it still tasted good. It was cut cucumbers, banana peppers and onions in a vinaigrette. The copious amount dressing pooled to the bottom, which was a little bit of a turn off for me. I would prefer to dress my own salads since I don't use anywhere near as much as restaurants tend to.

My husband ordered the chicken pappardelle pasta with sausage, spinach and parmesan cream. Of course he asked for only a little bit of spinach since he is anti-veggie. Though I am proud that he did eat most of what came on his plate (with the rest making its way to my plate). I got a taste and really enjoyed his meal, as well. He must have liked it since it was all gone!

We still had some money left on the gift card, so we went for a double dessert. I am always talking about ordering one of the alcoholic ice cream drinks, but rarely do since I don't want that before my meal and afterwards I am usually ready to go home. But I gave in this time, and we shared a white chocolate mudslide...yummy! The taste was great, but the alcohol wasn't very strong. The drink came in a hurricane glass with the Sundial logo on it, which we got to take home a souvenir glass.

The second dessert was called chocolate royal: layers of chocolate hazelnut praline, caramel cream, vanilla streusel, chocolate mouse and dark chocolate ganache. I see now why they call it chocolate royal!!! It melted in my mouth and I didn't want to stop eating! The creaminess of the mousse was contrasted by the crunchy praline and streusel. And you really can't go wrong with a chocolate ganache on top!

Overall, it was a great experience. Even for lunch it was more expensive than we would usually pay. The main reason we went was because of the discounted gift card. I am very glad I came across that deal because otherwise this would have remained on my list of places I want to visit, but probably won't because it costs more than we are used to paying. Hopefully we can get back there, but I am sure it won't be for a very long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment