Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Braised Sausage with Cheddar Cheese Grits


I think I am totally opposite of most people when it comes to their spouse being out of town. When my husband is home alone he goes right for a take out place with cheese dip...always. And most other people I know get take out of some sort, usually something they like that their spouse doesn't. Well, when my husband recently went out of town for a few days, I went right for the kitchen...and lots of ingredients I know he doesn't like.

A month or two ago, I had made some homemade sausages and the remainder were in the freezer, so I thawed out two and sliced them thin. I cooked them in some beef stock with some chopped baby bella mushrooms. Beer would have been great, if I only liked beer. Once the mushrooms and sausages were cooked through, I took them out and left the liquid in the pan. I kneaded together a little butter and flour and added it to the remaining liquid. I cooked the sauce until it thickened nicely and poured it over my sausage and mushrooms.

At the same time, I made myself some cheddar cheese grits. I love to make the grits using half milk and half water, then add a little butter to it to make it that much creamier. Once the grits are thick, I add a handful of cheddar cheese. A wonderful treat, in my opinion (but not my husbands...he would be good with the cheddar, just forget all those grits things!).

To round out my dinner, I steamed some broccoli with garlic, salt and pepper. A quick side dish that often makes an appearance in my home. It is super easy to make, takes only a few minutes and it tastes great.

No comments:

Post a Comment