Monday, January 3, 2011

Black Eyed Peas and Tomatoes

Last year, I made a black eyed pea gumbo, which went over really well but even when I halved the recipe, it yielded a lot of black eyed peas! So I simplified things this year and the results were great! So great in fact, that I totally forgot to take a picture of the finished dish. I guess you will just have to use or imagination...or better yet, try the recipe out for yourself!

I even got my husband to take a bite for good luck! He said it looked like 'bloody eyeballs,' to which I responded 'hmmm... how would that symbolize prosperity and good luck? Maybe it is supposed to symbolize eating your enemies or overcoming any obstacles that come your way?'

Loren's Black Eyed Peas and Tomatoes

1 tablespoon unsalted butter
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 can black eyed peas, drained and rinsed
1 can diced tomatoes with celery and onions

1. Melt butter in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add minced garlic and cook for a few minutes, stirring often.
2. Add drained black eyed peas and the entire can of diced tomatoes (not drained).
3. Cook until much of the liquid from the tomatoes has evaporated, about 5-10 minutes.
4. Serve warm. Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for 4-5 days. Reheat on the stove top or in the microwave before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment